Pop-fosa Nerve Block Procedure
If you have any questions or concerns about the procedure, or if you need to change your appointment date or time, please call 801-294-7246.
BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- You may eat and drink as usual unless you have asked for sedation.
- Discontinue blood thinner including High dose Aspirin as directed by physician.
- You may not have an active infection or currently taking Antibiotics.
- Advise physician if you have any medication allergies.
- IV will be placed as a safety precaution.
IF YOU HAVE ELECTED SEDATION:
- No food 8 hours prior to procedure, you may have water up to 3 hours prior to procedure.
- You must have a driver
AFTER THE PROCEDURE:
You may stay in the office and rest quietly until you feel well enough to leave. For some people, this is 10 minutes; for others, it can be longer.
You may experience the following conditions lasting 3-4 hours:
- Numbness, tingling or weakness in your extremities
- Light-headedness caused by a drop in blood pressure
Expect to see the following conditions lasting for 24-72 hours:
- Numbness of the effected limb
- Loss of ability to lift foot/toes
The injected area may be numb for 24 hours, and the site may be sore for one to four days. You may get a bruise at the injection site.
WHILE PUMP IS IN PLACE:
You may notice some leaking of fluids into gauze under your bandage. Notify your physician if it seems unusual in color or is of an extensive amount. Do not remove your bandage until it is time for pump to be removed. (72 hours following placement)